A NEW SUSTAINABLE LIBRARY WITHIN AN HISTORIC SHELL
The library project is an extension to and reworking of the Grade II* listed building, which is at the heart of the academic and communal life at the College. Designed as a single hall school by JC Buckler in 1851, the building was converted into a library in 1930 by Giles Gilbert Scott. Previously, the library provided just 48 reading places for a student population of 600 and was considered no longer fit for purpose.
The new design accommodates 120 readers in various study settings in an intervention that is both contemporary and respectful of the historic architecture. Additional meeting rooms, storage and staff facilities are provided as well as space for 3,200 linear metres of shelving. Half of these are accommodated on high-density mobile storage racks.
Floor plates, introduced by Giles Gilbert Scott, were carefully removed to reveal once again the full height of the space. At the junctions where the floors were removed new stone was inserted.
High-quality materials are used throughout – bespoke bookcases and desks in the reading spaces were crafted in American White Oak, whilst the new extension is detailed in Clipsham stone. The roof of the existing building underwent an extensive refurbishment using Cotswold stone slates.
Alan Baxter & Associates LLP
Engineers Max Fordham LLP
Menzies Partners Ltd
Max Fordham LLP
Dominic Cole Landscape Architects
Quantity Surveyor/Cost Consultant:
Gardiner & Theobald LLP